Sunday, April 26, 2009

Week Two of Bank Mural

Behind the tellers, a hint of an Victorian urn painting. I thought the addition would add to the period piece. It is challenging and fun to try and step back in time to imagine the setting in the 1900's.
The two tellers will be shadowed with hints of color. The goal of the project is to make the painting appealing from street side. (not 2' away)
The desk is penciled in and I plan to have it blocked in today. (Sunday 4-26)


The irregular arch was challenging. The third time is a charm. There were a series of paint a section....climb off the scaffoling....study...climb up cover up ....sketch again....climb down and study. The scale of the lettering was also a series of the same.
Flint grey was used and outlined in black magic. You can also see the roller shade on the right door that was added on Friday.



I believe I had a few worried with the addition of bewitched in the doorway. I wanted to give the colors chosen for the part a richer tone. The black magic was a base to change the colors to look differently than they would with the white primer beneath.



Climbing on the roof..( from the back of Tommy's barber shop) I painted upside down, leaning over the tar paper edge to complete the areas I could not reach with the scaffolding. I was going to wait to a later time to do this, but it was bothering me. I didn't like looking up at the uneven line.






The front section has the illusion of being taller and fading back over the center. This is different then the original drawing but I thought the effect would be understated and interesting.











The open front doors are classic brown with the edge of oyster shell








Shutters are Hat box Brown. I used Bewitched and sauteed Mushroom for the shading of the shutter louvers.








1 comment:

Sphynx Minx said...

I'm so proud of your mural and the representation it has for all vets.
I plan to bring my father, a WW2 vet, to see it after completion.
Great job! I'm very proud of you and your talents, and I am so happy that the City of Guin recongnizes the importance of these mural projects.