Thursday, July 9, 2009

Project notes for the first 3 days

I want to thank all the individuals for sharing there kind words on the progress. I truly appreciate the confidence the town has given me.
This is the largest mural thus far and much more time is needed in blocking in the base colors. For those following the blog.....just wait...the shadowing and detailing are going to really make the design.

Tyring out a new sprayer I lay ed in the brown- (Carvel brown). I was unhappy with the coverage and went back to trusty brushes. The sprayer would save time, but with the rough surface I am more confident with the 2" and 1" brushes.
After studying and checking measurement from the previous night, I discovered I lost 4' on the right wing. (Lost in the night) I corrected the error and the balance and the wing spread is now much more appealing.


Day 2- Thursday 7-2-09 Temp was around 98 degrees and the heat index was around 102. I spent some of the afternoon transferring measurements from my drawing to the wall. I decided to come back in the evening and try working at night. This was more comfortable but the lights made it difficult to mark with the shadowing. The bricks are in good shape but much of the mortar is missing. Painting by lights at night was difficult to insure complete coverage. I also discovered in plotting out my design that some revisions are necessary. The area where the depiction of the Civil War is to be located has beautiful roses planted in front of it. Enlarging the design will balance under the left wing.

Feeling a little odd covering the previous design "We Support our Troops", I felt it necessary to put in extra time before the July 4 Th holiday. I stayed until 11:30 p.m. to paint the Eagles head and top part of his wings. This was enough to give a clue to the community who may have not seen the design to know what was about to happen on this 74' wall.



Day 1 was spent getting the work area prepared. The wall has a large flower bed in front of it and the ground I'm working on is mulch. This is a little problematic due to the fact this wall will be done off ladders. I tried placing pallets and plywood over the sprinkler head to make for a stable foundation.

This photo shows the pallets at the base of the wall

The primer used is Zinser-Bulls-eye 1-2-3. It is a great primer with wonderful coverage. I had it tinted a light grey to make the colors that will be covering it warmer. This also helps with glare since the wall is in full sun.








1 comment:

Sphynx Minx said...

I'm so proud of your mural and the representation it has for all vets.
I plan to bring my father, a WW2 vet, to see it after completion.
Great job! I'm very proud of you and your talents, and I am so happy that the City of Guin recongnizes the importance of these mural projects.